Here's a little preview of the first new DCBlap level in over 10 years! Having a real physics engine opens up a lot of interesting new design possibilities.
Now that Unity for Android is free, I might continue developing DCBlap for OUYA into a full game! Definitely wouldn't have been worth the cost of the Android license.
Unity drops licensing fee on game engine for mobile developers
Indie developers have been able to take advantage of a free version of the Unity engine for desktop game development some time now, and starting today they can extend that development to mobile games at no added cost. The company’s confirmed that it’s dropping the $800 licensing fee for its Android and iOS build options, with Blackberry 10 and Windows Phone 8 development also promised to be moving to a free option in the “coming months.”
RunKeeper integration on the Pebble is pretty cool! Can't wait to see what else people will build with the new SDK
RunKeeper integration on the Pebble is pretty cool! Can’t wait to see what else people will build with the new SDK
While digging through the DCBlap assets over the weekend, I came across this old easter egg: there are 13 additional title screens that the game could randomly display, with a bunch of inside jokes, Futurama alien text, and random quotes on them.
I can't remember how to trigger this anymore, I think it was by pressing a certain button on the controller at the Options screen, but it seems this was removed in the latest version of the source code I have 🙁
After tinkering with Python, C#, and multiple versions of Blender and Unity, I've got a DCBlap level running on OUYA!
Converting the old level files requires an old version of Blender I had to run under WINE, as the Mac version was only available for PowerPC at the time and the newer versions changed the Python API too much to run my old import/export script. After converting the level to a .blend file, I had to invert all the polygon normals in order for Unity to render everything correctly.
Getting the physics working in Unity was pretty easy, though there was an amusing moment when I accidentally enabled gravity and parts of the level started falling off!
Haven't decided whether I'll continue developing this into a complete game yet, but it was certainly a fun weekend project.
Got a prototype of DCSquares running on OUYA! Still need to implement the powerups and scoring, but it works pretty well so far. I kind of wish I had ordered a second controller though, so I could implement the local multiplayer mode from the Dreamcast version.