I applied the database schema changes on the MobileScrobbler trac site, and it’s reduced the time it takes to modify or create a ticket from several seconds down to less than a second. Finally, no more error 500 pages when an operation takes too long to complete!
11:09:45 AM eric: but the printer is going to be attached to the linux machine 11:10:07 AM eric: and I want to print from a windows box 11:13:08 AM eric: looks like it will be another fun afternoon trying to get this worked out 🙂 11:13:28 AM sam: or you could just share it from a Windows box 😛 11:13:49 AM eric: thats what we have now….but we want to be ableto password it and monitor wtuff 11:13:55 AM eric: and winblows sucks that that 11:14:13 AM sam: er… windows 2000 can do that just fine? 11:14:32 AM sam: use ACLs and auditing 11:14:35 AM eric: we only have xp….and maybe 2k3 server 11:14:46 AM sam: both of those are the same as 2000 😛 11:14:46 AM eric: all that is above me 🙁
So let me get this straight.. if this guy can’t handle clicking a few buttons in Windows to password protect his printer, how does he expect to be able to edit 3 cryptic configuration files in Linux to accomplish his task?
I had the day off work today, so having nothing better to do, I decided to race raz0r (PowerBook G4 1.33Ghz, OS X 10.4.1) and media (Pentium III 933mhz, Ubuntu linux (Hoary)) in rendering with Blender.
raz0r, rendering frame #15 from Magnets: The Movie, required 313MB RAM, and took 2:30 mins to render the frame at 400×300.
media required 380MB RAM, and took 3:40 mins to render the same frame at the same size.
In the words of Stormy Waters, “Smoked that bitch!”. I was expecting the outcome to be along those lines, but I’m not sure why linux requires almost 70MB more RAM to render the same frame.
The output pictures from both were identical, obviously.
I have to shut sigbox down today for an upgrade 🙁 152 days, 20 hours, and 45 minutes without being powered down or restarted. But when it comes back up, it will be running a fresh install of Slackware Linux 10.0 and have a much larger storage capacity.
I curved the top corners of my menu panel, and added a 3 pixel drop shadow to the bottom to add more contrast between the wallpaper and the panel. Here’s a zoomed in version, for those of you without magnifying glasses:
I also made my own icon for the gnome-bluetooth bluetooth:// URI:
I’m still looking for something to replace the home icon, the one from the Snow-Apple icon theme looks kinda silly.
Finally, I got a nice blue GTK+ theme that isn’t so much of an aqua-clone that you wanna puke called Glossy P from art.gnome.org. Maybe I’ll make an orange version of it for Jay, but I kinda like the blue, so I’ll keep it for now. Lastly, my window border theme is a modified version of my most favorite theme ever: Crux. Someone finally updated it so it shows the application’s icon in the title bar instead of an empty box!
Here’s a screenshot of the whole thing together (click to enlarge):
Kinda like OSX, but without that stupid dock, and I get to keep the window list at the top, and a taskbar at the bottom 🙂